Irish coffee is a cocktail consisting of hot coffee, Irish whiskey, and sugar, stirred, and topped with thick cream. The coffee is drunk through the cream.
- 4 cl (2 parts) Irish whiskey
- 8 cl (4 parts) hot coffee
- 3 cl (1½ parts) fresh cream
- 1 tsp brown sugar
cl (cL) = centiliter
1 cl = 10 ml
Black coffee is poured into the mug/glass. Whiskey and at least one level teaspoon of sugar is stirred in until fully dissolved. The sugar is essential for floating liquid cream on top. Thick cream is carefully poured over the back of a spoon initially held just above the surface of the coffee and gradually raised a little. The layer of cream will float on the coffee without mixing. The coffee is drunk through the layer of cream.
How to Make a Perfect Irish Coffee
How to Make an Irish Coffee
Flaming Irish Coffee
- Splash of Bacardi 151
- 1/2 shot Irish Mist
- 1/2 shot Kaluha
- 1/2 shot Baileys
- 1/4 shot hazelnut liquer
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 small plates
- whipped cream
- hot coffee
1 shot = 44 ml (approx)
- In a small plate pour 3 tablespoons of sugar in the center.
- In a separate plate pour 1/4 cup of water
- Take a large wine glass that is fairly sturdy. DO NOT use a thin or expensive glass as it may break from the heat.
- Turn wine glass upside down and dip it in the water plate to wet the rim.
- Immediately dip it in the sugar plate to coat the rim of the glass with sugar.
- Set glass upright on countertop.
- Pour a small splash ( about a teaspoon ) of Bacardi 151 into the wine glass.
- Pick up glass and swirl the Bacardi 151 around to coat the inside of the glass. Put the glass down again.
- Light a match in one hand and pick the glass up with the other hand. Tip the glass at a 45 degree angle and bring lit match to the mouth of the glass. It will ignite quickly. Turn the glass so that the fire evenly carmellizes the sugar on the rim of the glass. Do this for about 20-30 seconds.
- Put glass down on countertop and cover with a plate to extinguish the flame.
- Pour in 4 liquors and fill the remainder of the glass with coffee up to about a quarter inch from the top.
- Top off with whipped cream.
The Best Irish Coffee in the World
Tableside Flaming Coffee Demo
Mexican Flaming Coffee