Pumpkin is a widely grown vegetables, rich in vital antioxidants and vitamins. Pumpkin contains vitamin A and flavonoid poly-phenolic antioxidants 黃酮類多酚抗氧化劑 such as lutein 葉黃素, xanthine 黄嘌呤 and carotenes 胡蘿蔔素.
Health benefits of Pumpkin
- Pumpkin is a low calorie vegetables without saturated fats or cholesterol. It is rich in dietary fiber, anti-oxidants, minerals and vitamins. Pumpkin is recommended by dieticians in cholesterol controlling and weight reduction programs.
- Pumpkin is an excellent source of many natural poly-phenolic flavonoid compounds such as α, ß carotenes, cryptoxanthin, lutein and zea-xanthin. Carotenes are converted into vitamin A inside the body.
- Pumpkin consists of anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C and vitamin-E. Vitamin-A is an essential vitamin for good visual sight. Research studies also recommend that natural foods, rich in vitamin A, help a body protects against lung and oral cavity cancers.
- Pumpkin is a good source of B-complex group of vitamins such as folates, niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin and pantothenic acid.
- Zeaxanthin 玉米黃素 is a natural anti-oxidant which has UV (ultra-violet) rays filtering actions in the macula lutea 黃斑 in retina of the eyes. Thus, it helps protect from “age-related macular degeneration” (ARMD) 老年性黄斑变性 in the elderly.
- Pumpkin is also rich in minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
Pumpkin Nutrition Facts